Southwest Airlines is one of the largest airlines in the United States, known for its low-cost fares and excellent customer service. If you’re planning to fly with Southwest, you’ll want to make sure you pack everything you need in your carry-on bag. Whether you’re traveling for business or pleasure, having your essentials with you at all times can make a big difference in the overall comfort and enjoyment of your trip. In this article, we’ll provide a comprehensive guide to what can I pack in my carry-on Southwest Airlines.
What to Pack in Your Carry-On
Here’s a list of items that you should always include in your carry-on bag when flying with Southwest:
- Identification and Travel Documents: Make sure to bring a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, passport or military ID. You’ll also need to bring your boarding pass and any other travel documents, such as visas or travel insurance certificates.
- Medications: Pack any prescription medications you need in your carry-on bag. You’ll want to have these with you in case your checked luggage gets delayed or lost. Make sure to bring enough medication to last you the entire trip, and if possible, bring a copy of your prescription.
- Electronics: Pack your phone, tablet, laptop, and any other electronic devices you’ll need for the trip. Make sure to also bring any chargers or cables you need to keep these devices powered up.
- Cash and Credit Cards: Bring enough cash and credit cards to cover any unexpected expenses during your trip.
- Comfort Items: Pack a few comfort items, such as a neck pillow, eye mask, and headphones, to help make your flight more comfortable.
In addition to the essential items listed above, you may also want to pack a few toiletries in your carry-on bag. Here’s what you should consider:
- Toothbrush and Toothpaste: Pack a travel-sized toothbrush and toothpaste to freshen up after your flight.
- Skincare Products: If you have sensitive skin, bring along a travel-sized bottle of facial cleanser, moisturizer, and sunscreen to keep your skin healthy and hydrated.
- Makeup: If you wear makeup, pack a few essential items, such as lipstick, eyeliner, and mascara, in your carry-on bag.
- Deodorant: Pack a travel-sized deodorant to help you stay fresh during the flight.
- Hairbrush: Pack a hairbrush to help keep your hair looking neat and tidy during the flight. These are just a few of the items you should consider packing in your carry-on bag when flying with Southwest.
How To Pack Efficiently
When packing your carry-on, it’s important to be mindful of the weight restrictions imposed by airlines.
Make sure that your bag doesn’t exceed the maximum allowed weight and size; otherwise, you risk having to pay additional fees or face delays at security checkpoints.
To pack efficiently, consider using a lightweight travel bag with multiple compartments. This way, you can easily organize your items and make sure that everything fits inside your bag. Also, consider rolling up clothing items instead of folding them to save space in your bag.
Finally, try to only bring what is absolutely essential so as not to overload your bag and avoid any unnecessary fees.
Also, Read | Can You Pack a Lighter in a Checked Bag?
Things That Are NOT allowed
There are certain items that are not allowed in a carry-on bag when flying with Southwest, or with any other airline for that matter. Here are some items to avoid packing in your carry-on bag:
- Liquids over 3.4 ounces: TSA regulations restrict the number of liquids, aerosols, gels, creams, and pastes that you can bring in your carry-on bag. These items must be in containers that are 3.4 ounces or smaller and must be placed in a clear, quart-sized plastic bag.
- Dangerous items: Dangerous items, such as firearms, knives, sharp objects, and explosives, are not allowed in a carry-on bag.
- Flammable items: Flammable items, such as lighters and fuel, are not allowed in a carry-on bag.
- Over-sized items: Make sure your carry-on bag fits within the size limits set by Southwest, which are 10 x 16 x 24 inches. If your carry-on bag is too large, you may need to check it.
- Illegal items: Illegal items, such as drugs and stolen goods, are not allowed in a carry-on bag.
It’s important to check Southwest’s website and the TSA’s website for the most up-to-date information on what is and isn’t allowed in a carry-on bag. By following these guidelines, you can ensure a safe and stress-free travel experience.
Here are some frequently asked questions about what you can pack in your carry-on bag when flying with Southwest:
Can I bring a water bottle in my carry-on bag?
Yes, you can bring a water bottle in your carry-on bag, as long as it is empty when you pass through security. Once you’re through security, you can fill up your water bottle at a drinking fountain or purchase a drink onboard the plane.
Can I bring snacks in my carry-on bag?
Yes, you can bring snacks in your carry-on bag. Just make sure they’re not liquids or gels, as these are restricted by TSA regulations.
Can I bring a book or magazine in my carry-on bag?
Yes, you can bring a book or magazine in your carry-on bag. These can be great distractions during the flight, helping to make the time go by more quickly.
Can I bring a blanket or pillow in my carry-on bag?
Yes, you can bring a blanket or pillow in your carry-on bag, as long as it fits within the carry-on size limits set by Southwest. These items can help you get comfortable and get some rest during the flight.
Can I bring my camera to my carry-on bag?
Yes, you can bring your camera in your carry-on bag. Just make sure it’s well-protected, as baggage handlers may not handle your carry-on with the same care as your checked luggage.
When flying with Southwest, it’s important to pack everything you need in your carry-on bag. From essential items like identification and travel documents to comfort items like a neck pillow and headphones, make sure you have everything you need to make your flight as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. Just remember to follow TSA regulations and the carry-on size limits set by Southwest, and you’ll be all set for a great trip.
Also, Read | Can You Pack Shampoo in Checked Luggage?